Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, June 19, 2017

ARC BOOK REVIEW: Enigma (Schrodinger's Consortium #2) by Tonya Kuper

Synopsis from Goodreads

The highly anticipated sequel to Anomaly will be released the summer of 2017!

Worst. Road Trip. Ever.

Escaping with Reid Wentworth should have been fun, but how can I enjoy it when I just (accidentally) killed someone, my mom and brother are in danger, and the Consortium is trying to enslave humanity? (Yeah, they aren’t fooling around.) So feeling something for Reid Wentworth was not part of the plan. Trying to help unite the Resistance against the Consortium means I can’t be distracted by hot boys.

The Resistance secret hideout isn’t exactly the rebel base of my dreams. A traitor there wants me dead, but we have no idea who it is. And with both the Resistance and the Consortium trying to control me, the only one I can trust is Reid. If we’re going to have any chance of protecting my family, controlling my unstable powers, and surviving the clash between the Oculi factions, I’m going to have to catch this traitor. By using myself as bait.
  


Expected publication: July 3rd 2017 by Entangled: Teen
Series: Schrodinger's Consortium #2
Source: e-ARC via Netgalley

Review
(3 Stars)

I really wanted to love this book, I loved the first book when I first read it a couple of years ago, and have been waiting patiently since for this sequel. I re-read the first book just  before reading Enigma, and I have to admit it wasn’t as great as I remembered it, but I held out hope that with a few extra years the author would have developed and grown as a writer and as such the sequel would be better than the first. Sadly that wasn’t the case for me.
Enigma picks up Josie and Reid’s story just a few days after we leave them in a hotel at the end of Anomaly. As the blurb explains the two of them decide to join Josie’s mum and brother at the Hub, and hope to root out the traitor they believe is feeding information back to the Consortium. With the Oculi’s ability to cSohange their ability to change their appearance the traitor could look like anyone! Mean that Josie has to constantly suspect everyone and it also leads to the consistent need to check that someone was in fact that person, it reminded a bit of Marvels Jessica Jones and also Vampire Diaries (season 4). I like this aspect of the plot as it keep you on the lookout for hints of the traitor in everyone’s actions.  Another thing I loved about this book was the pop culture references, it reminds you of Josie’s ‘roots’ and inherent geekiness.
However, the second part of this book just felt a bit rushed and lack any kind of world building, maybe this was because of the decision to make this a duology instead of a trilogy. If felt as though one moment Josie and Reid were searching for the mole, the next it was over. I couldn’t connect with any of the newly introduced secondary characters they didn’t really have strong personalities, and I felt as though the short lived attempt at a love triangle was a bit unnecessary.  
So a bit of a mixed opinion of this book, although there were some good aspects which I enjoyed, however I couldn’t connect with other parts and the second part of the book just felt too rushed for me.