Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Thursday, May 12, 2016

5 Reason's to Read - Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires #1) by Chloe Neill

Add on Goodreads
Buy from Amazon (UK) || Amazon (US) || Wordery

Synopsis From Goodreads

 
They killed me. They healed me. They changed me.
 
Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn’t exactly glamorous, but I was doing fine until Chicago’s vampires announced their existence to the world. When a rogue vampire attacked me, I was lucky he only got a sip. Another bloodsucker scared him off and decided the best way to save my life was to make me the walking undead.
 
Now I’ve traded sweating over my thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan “Lord o’ the Manor” Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed,
four-hundred-year-old vampire, he has centuries’ worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects my gratitude—and servitude. Right…
 
But someone’s out to get me. Is it the rogue vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches? My initiation into Chicago’s nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war—and there will be blood.
 

5 Reason's to Read ' Some Girls Bite'

 

1) It Goes Straight to the Vampires

 
We all know that this book is going to be about vampires, I mean have you have read the synopsis or even the name of the series. I was glad that as I reader I didn't have to wait around for Merit to become a vampire - it happens in the very first scene - so we get straight into her trying to adapt to her new 'life'. However, a small part of me wanted to know a bit more about the English Grad student that Merit used to be, so that I could see how different she has become after she is turned.
 

2) Merit limits her Moping

 
The moping 'my-life-has-ended-now-I-am-supernatural' is just an annoying part after a human transforms into the supernatural in many books. That depressed, whining and pining after their old life is, I guess, a natural reaction to any kind of change. However I am SO glad that Merit quickly puts it  aside and gets on with working out how her new world works.  
 

3) Wide Range of Side Characters   

 
So in this new 'life' Merit meets quite a range of supernatural people with varying degrees of likability. Quite a few of her new friend are a bit flirty but she is a girl who knows how to speak her mind, but more on romance later. There as a few points where I got a bit confused about who was who but it wasn't hard to quickly work it out. I really enjoyed her friendship with her roommate, Mallory she is understanding and takes everything in her stride, while also helping Merit adapt to being a vampire.  I also loved Merit's relationship with her Grandfather, he is strong yet sweet.  
 

4) Romance That Promises More to Come

 
Okay as I have mentioned above there are quite a few people who seem to have romantic (or at least lustful) feeling towards Merit. The most intriguing of them all (I won't name him in-case you think it's spoilers) but he is a bit of an ass but there is some form of alpha-y likeability and attractiveness about him. I am glad that Merit stands her ground as a 21st century woman when it comes to the romantic advances of those around her.  I was a bit surprised by the twist near the end of  the novel concerning the future of Merit's romantic relations, and I look forward to reading how that all works out.    
 

5) Political Tensions I Wasn't Expecting

 
I was surprised to find quite so much political action and tension between the different supernatural species in this book, with everyone seeming to worry about people's loyalties and potential spies. I knew that political tensions were bound to arise in this series - I don't think I have ever read a book with supernatural creature in, where all the species got along -  however I was expecting them to occur in at least the second book onwards. So nice surprise as I am always a fan of a bit of political playing. 
 

Final Thoughts   

(4 Stars)

 

I picked this book up after reading Hiding Books review of this book, and I have been in the mood for a Urban Fantasy recently so thought I would give this book a try.
 
It was a great ride full of action, swords, political tensions, crime solving with a strong independent woman who isn't afraid to stand up for herself.