Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

March's Featured Book - The Sunbolt Chronicles

















Hello Again Everyone, new post two days in a row!!! 

For the first two months of the year I had put my months featured book in with my monthly reflections, but I felt as though the books weren't getting the 'space' and attention that they deserved. The idea of having a featured book was to highlight my favourite less known about book(s) I had read that month, in the hope that people will read it and give the book a chance. So from now my featured book of the month will be in a post separate from my reflection post. This week I have been (and will be) catching up on some of the posts I missed in the last few months so here is my featured book from back in March:

Memories of Ash (The Sunbolt Chronicles #2) by Intisar Khanani 


Synopsis from Goodreads

In the year since she cast her sunbolt, Hitomi has recovered only a handful of memories. But the truths of the past have a tendency to come calling, and an isolated mountain fastness can offer only so much shelter. When the High Council of Mages summons Brigit Stormwind to stand trial for treason, Hitomi knows her mentor won’t return—not with Arch Mage Blackflame behind the charges.

Armed only with her magic and her wits, Hitomi vows to free her mentor from unjust imprisonment. She must traverse spell-cursed lands and barren deserts, facing powerful ancient enchantments and navigating bitter enmities, as she races to reach the High Council. There, she reunites with old friends, planning a rescue equal parts magic and trickery.

If she succeeds, Hitomi will be hunted the rest of her life. If she fails, she’ll face the ultimate punishment: enslavement to the High Council, her magic slowly drained until she dies.



Mini-Review 

So this months featured book is a sequel,  the first book Sunbolt was an okay book I gave it 3.5 stars (and you can find my thoughts on that book on Goodreads if you follow this link). However, this book was so much better and I had to give it 5 Stars the author has grown so much between these two books, there is so much more depth in the world and the characters. 

So for anyone who has read my review of Sunbolt they will know that, although I enjoyed it I wanted more of the political side of this world and this book does that as it explores the political world of the mages. My other issue was I wanted Sunbolt to be longer and this book also did that. 

Anyway, I obviously loved this book, it was great to see a new side to our main character as well as getting to know her new mentor and exploring more of this world. I specifically enjoyed waiting our ex-thief using her stills to navigate the mage school. It was also interesting to see our main character battle with memory loss and it was great to see one old faces. I can't wait to see what comes next for this series.