Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, October 23, 2015

Dead and Buryd (Out of Orbit #1) by Chele Cooke

Add on Goodreads
Currently FREE on amazon

 

Synopsis From Goodreads

On the planet Os-Veruh, the native Veniche have endured a decade under the oppressive rule of a race of invaders, the Adveni.

When Georgianna Lennox, a Veniche medic, discovers her childhood friend has been sold into slavery, she seeks help from a revolutionary outlaw group.

As Georgianna’s struggle to save one life ignites a battle to liberate her homeworld, is she about to discover that it is better to be dead than ‘buryd’?

 

 

 

 

 

4 Star Review

 

This book was a bit confusing to start with, the first two chapters ('Days that's Came Before' and 'The Quarter Run') are actually prologue's - something I didn't realize. Anyway I enjoyed the way in which the history of the world was told through a bed-time story it helps the reader to understand better the kind of world that the characters were living in, it also introduced us to characters which we will meet again later in the book.
 
I liked this idea of  Lyndbury it's a realistic idea 'just shove all the criminals together and forget about them' I am sure this has been suggested for various island over the years? I also thought that having slang 'buryd alive' made it feel more realistic as local slang is something that seem to naturally grow in the real world but is sometime forgotten about when it comes to creating new worlds.
 
The first few chapters of this book introduces us to a lot of different characters as our main character Georgianna seem to very well connected and knows people for every section of society.  In these first few chapters I was slightly over whelmed by the number of characters we where being briefly introduced to, but later on all theses different character came back and their stories intertwined, this made me thankful for that first brief introductions.  
 
It took me a while to get into this book as to start with there seem to be quite a few long descriptions of the history of different people and places. However by the time I was half way though I was hooked. This book is full of twists and turns, heart breaking moments and some intriguing characters (Edtroka). It also has a great ending what requires me to keep reading this series but also, I seem to have developed some strong feels (both for and against) some of these characters so I can't wait to see what happens to them later on in this series.