Menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Switched (Trylle #1) by Amanda Hocking

Add on Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads

Wendy Everly knew she was different the day her mother tried to kill her and accused her of having been switched at birth. Although certain she's not the monster her mother claimed she is, she does feel that she doesn't quite fit in. The new girl in High School, Wendy is bored and frustrated by her small-town life -- and then there's her secret, her mysterious ability -- she can influence people's decisions, without knowing how, or why ...When the intense and darkly handsome newcomer Finn suddenly turns up at her bedroom window one night, her world is turned upside down. He holds the key to her past, the answers to her strange powers and is the doorway to a place she never imagined could exist: Forening, the home of the Trylle. Among the Trylle she is not just different, but special. But what marks her out as chosen for greatness in this world also places her in grave danger. With everything around her changing, Finn is the only person she can trust. But dark forces are conspiring -- not only to separate them, but to see the downfall of everything that Wendy cares about...

Review

This book is one of those that I have had on my TBR shelf for what feels like an age, I kept putting off reading it as it sounded the same as so many other books I have read. It did start the same way but we quickly moved away for the 'normal' storyline.

The book opens with quite a dramatic prologue which leaves us with many, many questions that don't get answered for quite a while. I liked that the we get told about Wendy's power so quickly and straight forwardly, however there are many other things which remain mysterious throughout the book. This mystery and secrecy allows for some many a surprise revelations as Wendy is often kept in the dark about what is happening around her.

I liked Wendy's character and I enjoyed her progression into a stronger person (especially in the rest of this trilogy) but she did do a few things that made me think 'really, that is kinda stupid'. There seemed to quite a few potential guys for Wendy's romance and I admit that they all seemed nice. I love a good forbidden romance but also liked Tove's caring character. The Queen in this book was so cold, I can't really understand her at this point and I hope in the following books we get to know more about her.

I felt as a reader that the ending of this book was rushed, and the book was also left after one of Wendy 'stupid' decisions where she hasn't really thought through the consequences of what she is doing but this does mean we are left on a cliff hanger so book two is now needed.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this it was much better and more original than I was expecting when I started it.